AHRECS has considerable experience working with universities, hospitals, research institutions, government and non-government organisations to care for and build the capacity of its HREC Committee members across the entire term of their appointment. We start with the needs of our clients and offer support from recruitment all the way through to running an exit interview.
Many HRECs have quite simple manual-based inductions; we help HRECs to create something more welcoming and interactive that takes members from first contact to the point where they can contribute effectively to a committee. There is a significant difference between delivering a single ‘training session’ and creating a suite of professional development activities over two to three years, that covers committee members’ terms, and that might include dedicated annual PD and Strategy sessions and incorporate ongoing PD into each HREC meeting.
- help recruit expert external members to meet the needs of specific HRECs
- create interactive and multi-media induction and orientation materials
- introduce members to the broader literature on research ethics
- create material and run professional development sessions tailored to the specialist roles of particular HRECs
- evaluate the performance of the HREC and provide feedback to the HREC and its host institution
- offer exit interviews to HREC members stepping down from their role, and then….
- help recruit replacement members to HRECs
We have provided elements of such services in Australia, Canada, Mauritius, New Zealand, Taiwan, United Kingdom, United States and Vietnam for new and established, small and large institutions and consortia of research organisations.
This post may be cited as:
Israel M. (2017, 22 June) Professional Development across the Term of an HREC Committee Member. Research Ethics Monthly. Retrieved from: https://ahrecs.com/services/professional-development-across-term-hrec-committee-member